Friday, March 9, 2012

The Feeding of the Multitudes

The Feeding of the Multitudes

My step-dad was a restaurant owner for over twenty-five years and loved to cook in massive portions. My parents were two of the most generous people I have ever known.  On many occasions they would invite everyone they knew and sometimes people they did not know over to our house for dinner parties. My parents loved to tailgate at University of Kentucky football games. They would set up their very large outdoor kitchen in the middle of the parking lot and cook for anyone who wanted to eat.  They would never think of charging anyone to eat and would sometimes feed hundreds of people.  It gave them joy to be able to serve others and make so many people happy.  They gave away all this food, but could not stand food waste. It was forbidden for me to not finish my food or throw it away.  It felt good for my parents to feed others and had such strict rules for saving food because they both grew up poor and sometimes had little food to eat. I learned something truly wonderful from these experiences with my family.  They passed on to me their giving spirit and now I’m passing it on to my children. Our family did not participate in sit down meals together very often, but their love and generosity left a lasting impression on me and hundreds of other people they did not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment